Sunday, December 2, 2012

A Crazy Month

At long last, I have some time for another post. November is finally over, and December has finally started. Last month had to be one of the most chaotic and crazy months so far in life. I had AcDec, school, NaNoWriMo, and several side projects. I will try to write more often in the future.

First of all, NaNoWriMo. I was not able to finish the book for the end of November. I was only able to finish about 11,000 words, but I had fun and learned quite a bit from it. The first thing I learned was that writing 50,000 words is not as difficult as it may seem. Now granted, I only finished 11,000 words, but I only put about 12 or 13 hours into them. The hardest part about it was starting. Once I got started, it was easy to keep going on the writing. The second thing I learned is that consistency is really important. I found that writing was the easiest when I worked on it for an hour or so each day, rather than skipping a day or two and writing for irregular blocks of time. The final thing I learned with this endeavor is that writing fiction is really quite fun. At first I wanted to write the book but was not sure how much fun the process was going to be, but I soon found out that it is really fun. Writing, much like some forms of art, allows me to create my own little universe that has nearly infinite possibilities. Even though I was not able to write the novel during November, I will still work on it this month and see if I can finish it. I have some fairly interesting ideas for it and some possible sequels. I definitely recommend writing at least one novel in your life, whether it is for NaNoWriMo or if it is just for the sake of writing a novel. Write the story you want to read.

School and AcDec were pretty interesting last month also. Homework came in really large waves, so it was pretty chaotic having one night with no homework followed by one with enough to fill an entire week. Academic Decathlon was pretty fun, though, and made up for the chaos with school. I was a bit stressed out going into it, but I did a lot better than I expected, getting the third highest score on my school's team. The score earned me a spot for the next competition in January where we cannot bring the entire team. The speeches were my favorite part of it. The impromptu topic I got was related to technology, so I was able to do well on that. My prepared speech was on the importance of failure in life and how it plays a role in shaping who we are. I talked about Tesla, Nobel Prize winners, and memory palaces, and how failure has played a role with all of them. I will definitely revise my speech to incorporate my recent NaNoWriMo failure and how I was able to learn from that. I am excited for the next competition.

Finally, my side projects. I never got around to making an Instructable on the pirate ship props for the school dance, so I will work on that this month. I have also not gotten around to completely finishing my website, and I will also try to get that done this month. Over the past week or so, I found a bunch of cool projects on Pinterest that I will work on this month too. I will write about those in other blog posts as I finish them. The final thing I will talk about for now is a project I just finished before I started writing this post. I thought of it last Thursday, but I was unable to successfully complete it until now. In the mornings, I have a hard time getting up early, so I decided that I needed to find a way to turn on my lights when my alarm goes off in order to try to trick my brain into thinking the sun is up. I ended up using an Arduino with a photoresistor to activate a servo that turns on my room light and an outlet with a desk lamp hooked up to it. My phone's alarm brings up an image of a big, white alarm clock, and there is enough light to make a noticeable difference in the Arduino's readings from the photoresistor. So, I hooked it all up, and when my phone's alarm goes off, a whole bunch of light floods my room. Tomorrow will be the first real test for it, so I will write another post tomorrow for the results of the alarm extension, along with anything I forgot to talk about in this post.

Happy Adventures!

-Zach

No comments:

Post a Comment